Friday, May 7, 2010

meanest mommy award

well... i definitely received the
meanest mommy of the year award last night.
but, in my defense
i believe the lesson was learned
and will not be forgotten anytime soon

brayden was mad at me.
i mean, i was being pretty unreasonable,
i did tell him to brush is teeth and go potty before bed.
well... he decided to say
"mommy, i wish you would die."
yep, you read that right,
he wanted me to die because i told him
to brush his teeth.

i immediately asked him to repeat himself
so he changed his wording to
"i wish you were old"

i really didn't know what to say
obviously this was unacceptable
but what do you do?

i told him to go tell his daddy what he said.
he knew what he said was wrong
and daddy was going to punish him
much more severely than me.

he refused to tell him,
once daddy heard what was said
he began talking to him about
kind words and how speaking like that
was unacceptable.
he was told to go apologize to me,
he was not going to get a book read to him at bed
and he was not going to play the wii today.

when it was my turn to talk to him,
i explained to him that if mommy dies
she would not be here to make him his breakfast
or take him to the library, etc.
i asked him if that is what he wanted.
he of course said no
but i wanted him to really learn how
words affect people so...
i left.
i told him that if he didn't want me anymore
i'd just leave.
i took my keys and went out into the hallway.
oh my gracious
i believe they understood very clearly at that point.
i think the entire building could hear the screams that followed.
after a few minutes i came back in
we talked about it.
i got lots of "i'm very very sorry mommy"
and "please don't die or go away"

so... i'd say my point was made
and hopefully it is remembered
that we speak with kind words in this house.

i've even received a few i'm sorry this morning.

1 comment:

  1. That must have been so hard for all of you. I'm very proud of how you handled it. It was a lesson he won't soon forget. You are teaching him the importance of his actions and his words. You are teaching him to be a sensitive person who thinks about his words. I'm not sure I would have thought to put actions to his words and actually leave, but that was an excellent way to bring your point to life. You and Chuckie are great parents.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete